Hello from everyone at BB&R! As summer winds down and students head back to school, be sure to register for one special day of learning and fun that is dedicated to boosting your own physical, mental, and emotional well-being – the 2014 Achieving Optimal Health Conference on Oct. 25th at Georgetown University!
We Bring the Experts to You!
The BB&R team and GUWellness is excited to have a topnotch group of experts on hand to lead the conversation at this year’s conference. Come learn about the following hot topics; you will be energized and inspired to take charge of your health!
- Representative Tim Ryan will speak on:”Mindfulness and its Role in American Culture.“
- Bestselling author A. J. Jacobs will present “A Lighthearted and Funny Approach to Achieving Your Optimal Health.“
- Cornell University Professor Brian Wansink’s topic is “Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life.“
- Award-winning cookbook author Rebecca Katz, who has a Master of Science degree in Health and Nutrition Education, will speak on “Transforming Health Through the Power of Food: The Science and Alchemy of Yum.“
- BB&R founding partners Doro Bush Koch and Patricia Reilly Koch will lead a conversation on “The Latest Steps in Achieving a Better, Healthier You!“
- The day’s activities will be introduced by Charles De Santis, Associate Vice President for benefits and payroll and Chief Benefits Officer for Georgetown University
Dr. Philippa Darbre’s topic is “Personal Care Products and Breast Cancer.” Dr. Darbre, Associate Professor in Oncology in the School of Biological Sciences at the University of Reading in the UK, has been researching estrogen action in breast cancer for more than 30 years and will tell us what we need to know about how to manage and avoid toxicity found in products we use every day. The more we know, the safer we can be.
A Day Packed With Learning That Is Not Only Informative But Tasty
We are pleased that in addition to all the helpful information, the conference will also include a healthy lunch on us as well as the chance to sample new foods and learn about new products!
We hope you are enjoying your August. As most of you know, finding a sense of calm can be even more critical than your eating organic greens. HOW you eat your food and rest your body is just as important as WHAT you eat and do to stay in shape. So use August to savor the summer air, relax, and get a handle on the big picture rather than stressing about minutiae. If you feel frustration, stop and find ways to feel grateful. In the spirit of “summer vacation,” give yourself an extra hour of rest.
Homemade Ginger Drink
If you are going to spend some time this month nurturing yourself and connecting with what makes you happy, try slowing down the afternoon with a homemade ginger drink. Ginger not only helps weight loss, it relieves tired muscles, may help fight cancer and Alzheimer’s, and helps manage glucose levels.
Add grated ginger to a pot and cover with five times as much water. Add some lemon, lime and/or oranges (cut in quarters). Add some stevia, honey or maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture and adjust sweetness if necessary. Refrigerate the concentrate and pour over ice, water or sparkling water to dilute it to your liking. Garnish with citrus and/or mint.